DO YOU WANT TO BECOME AN EGS REPRESENTATIVE FOR YOUR DEPARTMENT?
As an EGS Representative you will:
- Represent the interests and goals of the members of your Department.
- Communicate to your Department the activities of the EGS.
- Attend EGS Council meetings including the AGM.
If you are thinking of nominating yourself to be a EGS Department Rep, you may want to consider the following traits of a successful department rep:
- Passionate about fixing issues and helping Graduate Students at Engineering
- Engaged with the Graduate Students community and your Department community
- Make a real change in our student life as grads
- Willing to make new friends and connect across departments of Engineering
- Willing to volunteer with at least 1 hour per week for EGS matters
EGS REPRESENTATIVE ROLE
There are three representatives to the EGS from every department. The basic role of the representatives is to communicate information between the grad students in their department and the university. The EGS represents the students at three different levels: GCPC, Graduate Council & the Faculty.
The EGS also has two other major mandates.
- To help create a community in Engineering Graduate Studies.
- To advance Academic & Professional Development at McMaster Engineering.
The EGS organises events to help students improve academic and professional skills that will help with their studies but will also carry forward to their desired career paths. Interested representatives take the lead in organising these events and improve their skills in event organisation, management and leadership. (Such events are the E.G.S. Conference and Skills Workshops with plans to expand this list)
The representatives also organise social events for the student body with the goal of getting the grad students out of the lab and interacting socially. (Such events are the E.G.S. BBQ, Pot Lucks & coffee houses).
EGS EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
This is a group of representatives that shall facilitate the smooth and efficient running of the Society under the direction of the EGS Council. Essentially certain jobs are assigned to specific roles that those who are willing to do these jobs will assume. The Exec Committee is chosen from the elected representatives by the EGS Council themselves.
If you would like to apply for a Departmental Representative position, please contact us to email@example.com