Well that’s a wrap on this year’s EGS conference, METRIC – the McMaster Engineering Technology, Research, and Innovation Conference. We really hope you enjoyed the day!
Congratulations to Madeline Simpson on winning the 2016 METRIC Best Oral Presentation Award for her talk on Design of Drug Carriers for the Delivery of Antipsychotic Therapeutics to the Brain and to Weiwei Zhao who won the 2016 METRIC Best Poster Presentation Award for his poster on “AC Powered Dual-LED Display Unit”. Enjoy your new EGS Cup and a $50 prepaid visa card!
We have so many people to thank for making this day happen.
- Big thanks to our financial sponsors, the Faculty of Engineering, Dean Puri and our nine departments. Thanks to Nancy Balfoort, Vania Loyzer & Joy Coomber for helping us with the finances.
- Thanks to our amazing 2015/2016 EGS team for all of their hard work and time spent organizing the day, especially Sarah Nangle & Edson Bellido, the 2016 conference co-chairs, Maryam for organizing the catering, Carla & Nazanin for handling the finances and Yousef for taking photos ALL day!
- Thanks to all of our invited speakers, all of whom have a connection to Mac, Susan Goulet, Tracey Caruana, Dr. Tom Adams and Craig Wilson. Thanks to Lynn Stewart, Elizabeth Rowan, Carm Vespi and Dr. Tim Davidson for helping us connect with these speakers.
- Thanks to all of our McMaster Alumni Career Panelists; Adam Pepler, Scott Hastie, Miles Montgomery, Samih Abdelgadir and Kevin Moonoosawmy for coming back to give advice on doing grad school and how to plan for post grad life. Thanks to Carm Vespi, Jessica Rudden (The Forge) and Adam Pepler for helping us connect with these panelists.
- Big shout out to our Keynote Speaker and Nanotech Session chair, Dr. John Preston, who didn’t blink an eye when we asked him if he could do his talk without slides in the Atrium to save us having to book a third room. He did an amazing job with the panel discussion during his technical session, really breaking down the walls of departments. Thank You!
- Thanks to our other session chairs and oral presentation judges, Dr. Tim Davidson, Dr. Mike Noseworthy, Dr. Charles deLannoy, who unfortunately couldn’t make it due to sickness, and Dr. Vick Lakhian who stepped up on the day and just happens to have a very strong background in water treatment research! We really valued the participation and support of Faculty members in our conference, and they did a great job facilitating the interdepartmental panel discussions. On that note – big shout out to Dr. Adrian Kitai, who has been coming to the EGS conference for at least 2 years and sponsoring his students to do the same. Thanks for your support!
- We’d like to thank the career station team,particularly Adam Pepler & Lynn Stewart for organizing it, & Darren Yip our LinkedIn photobooth photographer.
- We’d like to thank everybody who helped us organize the tours. Jennifer Bondy and Phillip Dauphin at CanmetMATERIALS, Shooka Mahboubi at MARC and Jessica Rudden & Glen Crossley at The Forge.
- Thanks to everybody who helped us stock our goody bags. Thanks to Arlene Dosen and the recruitment team for providing the bags themselves with some Faculty swag, in addition to letting us borrow lots of banners, tablecloths etc. for the day. Thanks to McMaster Library, MILO, The Forge, Q-Reserve and MIIETL for the other goodies.
- We want to thank MIP’s conference team for the great setup and help during the day and our caterers, The Village Green in Westdale.
- We also want to thank the people who helped us plan this event throughout the year; Alexa Huang, Adam Pepler, Lynn Stewart, Carm Vespi, Teresa Trimboli and Danielle Marcellin & Dr. Mike Thompson.
- Last, by no means least, we want to extend our sincerest thank you to Dr. Mike Thompson, the Associate Dean of Graduate studies who has been our best supporter and adviser since the founding of the Engineering Graduate Society. He has helped us every step of the way in planning this conference and in all of our other endeavours.