Here is a peek at what’s going on this month!
Thanks to everybody who came out to our first ever Annual General Meeting! If you don’t already know them, find your 2016/2017 department reps here. We still have a couple of vacant positions, so please contact us if you are interested in representing your department.
Donal, our outgoing president, welcomed everybody and explained the core goals of the EGS in 2015: Representation, Social & Professional Development. He noted that 2015 was the year that the EGS was officially recognized by the Faculty and we hope to continue to grow!
The outgoing executive officers gave their reports of what has been achieved in the past year, we ratified some changes to our bylaws to improve our operation and we enjoyed some delicious Basilique pizza! Thanks to everybody who filled out the survey – we are always happy to get your feedback and suggestions to improve the society and please let us know if you want to get involved in any way at firstname.lastname@example.org
The full meeting minutes, with the analytics from the survey can be found here: http://egs.mcmaster.ca/meeting-minutes/
We are currently accepting abstracts and registration for our conference, METRIC, that will be held on Friday, August 19th in McMaster Innovation Park. Please remember to keep your abstract general enough that your talk or poster will be understandable by people from different departments. Don’t forget those keywords so that we can pair up folk from different departments for a more interesting Q&A session!
We are in the process of finalizing our professional development speakers for the day. More exciting information to come! Register here and tell your labmates!
Mental Health Services for Grad Students
Due to the NO vote to the fees referendum, graduate students will no longer be serviced by the counselors in the student wellness center. Graduate students still have mental health coverage, however due to the budget deficit, the student wellness center can no longer afford to continue servicing as many students as it once did so it is now only servicing undergraduate students, who pay much higher fees than graduate students do. Check our site to find mental health resources for graduate students and to learn more about your GSA mental health services coverage. http://egs.mcmaster.ca/mental-health-services/
CUPE Ping Pong Night at Serve
CUPE 3906 are booking a party room at Serve Ping Pong club from 7:30-10:30pm on Fri June 10th, where you can work on your ping pong game, enjoy some refreshments, and catch up with members of the Unit 1 and Unit 3 bargaining and bargaining support teams.
- This week is Communications week for graduate students and postdocs. There will be a series of workshops from June 6th – 9th on various topics relating to communicating your research available. All of these can be found on the EGS calendar.
- James Street North Art Crawl will be on Friday, June 10th
- Compass has discounted tickets to Canada’s Wonderland and African Lion Safari. Get them here https://www.msumcmaster.ca/services-directory/4-compass-information-centre/event-tickets
- Nature at McMaster are continuing their Sunday morning hike series this summer. Hikes leave from the carpark beside the student centre at 10am. Check out the full schedule here.
- McMaster will be hosting two big engineering related conferences from June 3rd – 7th; CMSC 2016 & WIEN2k. The conferences will mostly be held in the Engineering Technology Building