Here is a peek at what at what’s been going on this month!
GSA Ski Trip
The GSA have announced the dates of their ski trip to Snow Valley (Barrie) this year. There will be two dates; March 11th and March 24th. Buses depart from Mary Keyes residence and 7.30 am sharp and we arrive back at 6.30 pm. It costs $25 and this covers transportation, ski rental, lift ticket and a lesson. It’s $35 if you want to snowboard instead ($25 if you bring your own board).
Friday, March 11th
LaTeX skills workshop
The Scientists Association at Mac (SAM) is organizing a LaTeX workshop which is also open to engineering graduate students. If you are curious about using LaTeX to write papers or your thesis this is a good place to start. The two-day workshop will take place on March 15th & 16th from 4.30-6pm in BSB 115 and costs $5.
Register here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/latex-workshop-tickets-22498729305
Even if you are not a permanent resident or a citizen, you should be filing your taxes this month. All students can file taxes for FREE using the discount code FAY1493 through http://www.ufile.ca/
You will need your tax forms; T2202A, T4 (if you TA), T4A for research scholarship and T4A for other scholarship amounts. NOTE: you have 2 T4A forms! All of these can be found on mosaic. If you didn’t sign up for e-forms, you may have received some of these by mail. You will find your tax forms in two locations as shown below:
The DeGroote Accounting Association at McMaster runs an annual Tax Clinic that provides free tax returns, primarily for international students. If you want to get yours looked at, these clinics will be held on March 21st -26th from 9 am to 2 pm. The location is TBD. Check the (ISS) international student services events calendar for the latest updates.
- 3MT – Congratulations to all engineering graduate students who participlated in the 3MT competition. Big shout out to Paul Ricciuti (mecheng) who took 2nd place for his 3MT on energy recovery from pizza ovens.
- Connect to Careers: Hamilton’s Largest Job Fair – On Tuesday, March 8th the Hamilton Convention Centre will be hosting the largest career fair in Hamilton. The list of attending organizations is growing daily. For information on who’s attending and how to prepare for the job fair, visit the Connect to Careers website. If you’re graduating soon, be sure to go. To attend, register on OscarPlus » http://goo.gl/gbUkQh
- Volunteer to be a judge at the 56th Annual Bay Area Science & Engineering Fair (BASEF). BASEF is the Regional Science & Engineering Fair for all students in Grades 7 to 12 from Hamilton, Halton, Haldimand, Norfolk, Brant, and Six Nations and they need more that 150 judges! The only pre-requisite to participating as a judge is an enthusiasm for listening to youth explain and demonstrate their projects and innovations. The Fair takes place on Thursday, March 31st at Mohawk College, Fennell Campus in Hamilton, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Registration to be a judge: www.basef.ca/judgeregistration More information on judging can be found here: www.basef.ca/judging
- Mandatory Career Workshop for first year students – All first year engineering graduate students must complete a career planning workshop and submit a career planning document in their first year. If you have not completed the mandatory career planning session there will be another one on Friday, March 11th at 10am. Location TBD
- EGS Meetings & Conference – We are now meeting every week. Every alternate meeting is a hands-on action planning meeting and we always encourage volunteers to join us. Email email@example.com if you want to join! We are starting to plan our Engineering Research conference. The tentative date is August 19th at McMaster Innovation Park. Stay tuned for our first notification email and more information!
- GSA – The Annual General Meeting of the GSA will be held on March 29th.
- Mitacs Workshop: Communication Skills – A full-day session featuring the tools and tips of better verbal communication. March 23rd (full day). For more information and to register » https://goo.gl/Zx4PWA
Keep up-to-date on all of the events with our EGS calendar http://egs.mcmaster.ca/calendar/